We catch up with show rider Lucy Eddis to find out more about her HOYS-winning Working Hunter Pony of Year, Cashel Bay JJ.
Lucy and her fabulous bay working hunter pony, Cashel Bay JJ, are on a high since taking both the Underwood 153cm Working Hunter Pony of the Year and then going Champion BSPS M&M Working Hunter Pony of the Year at the 2016 Horse of the Year Show. Here we find out more about the 12-year-old Connemara…
- Three years ago Lucy and her family nearly overlooked buying Cash as they weren’t really looking for a 15hh working hunter pony. Lucy still had a couple of years left in the 14hh classes but he was such a dream to ride they bought him.
- Cash, by Castleside JJ out of Ballybawn Cashel, is a four-time winner at the Horse of the Year Show.
- At home, he is referred to as the ‘Royal Bentley’ because he is so mannerly and such a smooth and easy ride. Lucy soon gelled with him to form the fantastic partnership that they have today.
- The same year Lucy bought Cash, they stood champion at Royal Windsor in the M&M WHP and won HOYS in the plaited 15hh class. He has also claimed the championship at the Royal International Horse Show and won at Royal Dublin.
- Cash has also competed in British Eventing and was produced up to BE100 level. He excels in all three phases.
- Although the ‘Bentley’ of the yard, Cash is quite quirky and has his own set of rules. He doesn’t like having a tail bandage on and sometimes he refuses to have the reins and martingale put over his head, meaning Lucy must undo them and buckle them back up around his neck.
- Lucy’s mum, Polly helps to keep him fit whilst Lucy is away at boarding school. He enjoys autumn hunting and hacking and, like most horses, is better when he is not trained too much.
- Cash has a fantastic temperament and is very professional, Lucy can always rely on him to perform when it counts in the ring and not be silly.
- Lucy and Cash have a travelling fan club. Breeders Robbie and Babara Fallon came over from Ireland to support them at HOYS. Jo Marsh Smith, who produced him to BE100 level, and prior owners the Leavesley family also visit shows to support them.
Cash is fed on a TopSpec feed regime which consists of TopSpec Comprehensive Feed Balancer, TopSpec CoolCondition Cubes and TopChop Grass.