Leading event rider Willa Newton has had a year to remember with two top-10 finishes at four star level. Here we find out 10 things you didn’t know about the Amerigo-sponsored rider.
- Willa’s father Joey was a top amateur jockey, having won the Aintree Foxhunters twice.
- Willa’s sister Chloe also evented up to four star level before opting for a career change.
- Willa graduated from University in 2012 with a degree in Business Management.
- Neelix was one of the few horses to have taken a rider from Pony Club to 4 star level. He took Willa to Team Gold at the Junior Europeans in 2008 and together they represented Great Britain at three consecutive Young Rider European Championships, winning Team Gold and Individual Silver at Blair Castle in 2011.
- At 28-years-old, Willa is one of the most talented young riders to emerge in the sport of eventing. As at the start of the 2018 season, she was the youngest British female rider in the World’s Top 35 Event Riders.
- Willa broke her collar bone at the beginning of July last year, but was able to get back riding within 6 weeks, in time to finish 8th at Burghley, thanks to the specialist rehab support at the Injured Jockey Fund’s Jack Berry House in Malton, Yorks.
- She has notched up two top-10 finishes at CCI4* level last year, finishing fifth at Luhmuhlen and eighth at Burghley with Chance Remark.
- Janet Willis is Willa’s Head Groom and ‘secret weapon’. Janet has been working with the Newton family before Willa was even born. In 2018 her hard work and dedication was deservedly rewarded when she took home the Burghley Groom’s award and the Haddon Training Groom of the Year 2016.
- Willa is looking to expand her string for the 2019 season and would love to talk to new owners interested to join her ambitious, experienced and friendly team based in Stonesby, Leicestershire.
- Willa is now supported by Amerigo Saddles and rides in a DJ Jump and Classic Siena Dressage.
For more information on Zebra Products please visit www.zebraproducts.co.uk
Photos courtesy of Nico Morgan www.nicomorgan.com